Friday, November 30, 2012

Yesterday's pulmonary function tests were pretty tiring. After that I did a 6 minute walk and completed paperwork at pulmonary rehab, and then I did the nuclear VQ scan. The scan requires that I wear a mask for part of it. I inhale radioactive gas through the mask and they take pictures of my lungs to see how the air moves through the lungs. The mask I had to wear for the VQ scan was a tiny inflatable plastic mask that was sealed around my nose and mouth. I put up with this for maybe 5 minutes until I just couldn't take it anymore. They then released the straps so it wasn't sealed anymore and continued the test. This was tolerable and the mask came off shortly thereafter. They then injected a small amount of radioactive albumin into a vein in my arm and then did scans to measure how well the blood flows through the lungs; or at least this is how I understand the test to work. I asked Marsha if I glowed in the dark afterwards and she said no. lol

I have not heard the results of the VQ scan, although I'm curious to know how the air and blood are able to flow through my lungs. I will find out on Tuesday.

My transplant coordinator called this afternoon and said that I am listed, but on inactive status until I see the doctor on Tuesday. They want to make sure I am psychologically ready and that it is truly time for me to be listed. I will be the only patient on the Barnes Jewish lung transplant list with my blood type (AB), so I will be at the top of the list! She said to take this weekend to enjoy activities with out being worried about getting interrupted with "the call" while I'm out eating lunch, at the movies, etc.

I didn't push real hard to be listed today, as I have actually been able to do what I need to without a lot of struggle. I am so thankful that I had the energy to get packed and moved up here. A big answer to prayers!

That's it in a nutshell. As always, thanks for the prayers and I hope each of you has a wonderful weekend!

God Bless,
Lynda  

5 comments:

  1. Lynda,
    Wow! What an adventure! I would need a vacation after just one day of what you went through! Have a great weekend and know that we are all praying for you and for a great outcome! Exciting times! All God's Grace to you and yours!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before long you will be at the top of the list! Awesome news Lynda. My mom (Aunt Lenora), Richard and I will be keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. I spoke to her this morning and she is glad to hear things are going well with you. We will continue to keep her posted as we read your blog. Thanks to Brenda for sharing the link.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda,
    So glad that you have this blog. I keep checking in to see where you are at in your journey. I am praying for you and that in your absence God puts a protective covering around your home. You've only been gone a few days, but we already miss your smiling face on our cul-de-sac!
    Blessings,
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bev, your mom is such a sweetie and I enjoy our phone conversations and look forward to visiting with her when I'm back home! Thank you all for the prayers!

    Kristin, I miss the cul-de-sac too! I meant to call you guys and Barry, but had so much to do in a short amount of time. I look forward to seeing you in a few months! Thanks for the prayers!

    Hugs,
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete