Thursday, March 15, 2012

Red Man's Syndrome

When I set up this blog, I never dreamed I'd have so many updates! My latest is that I started a new IV last night; vancomycin. A common side effect of vanco is what's called Red Man Syndrome. I don't notice it making me red, it just makes my scalp itch like crazy. I feel like a mental patient from scratching so much! To help with the RMS, I take Benadryl before the IV, so I did this last night with the first dose. I did have to stop the IV 5-6x to let the itching die down. So, I do the IV and head to bed. I was soooo sleepy, though, from the Benadryl.

So, this morning, I get up at 6 am for the next vanco, but notice that my eyes are super itchy and they felt like there was fine sand in them & my lips and face was swollen. So, I call the home health nurse who lives here in VC, and asked her what she thinks. She had my doctor paged & my doctor wanted to see me at 11 a.m. So I went in at 11 and Dr. thinks it was an allergic reaction & isn't sure from what, as I've taken vanco a few times before & other than the itching & maybe some tingle-y lips, no side effects. So, now I have more Benadryl and Prednisone (steroids) in a pretty high dose added to the mix. I am currently infusing & haven't had any problems yet! (knock on wood!). I'm hoping the Benadryl, which makes me sleepy, will off-set the steroids that make me wired!

So that's today's update for anyone that cares--have a great day & weekend! :)

1 comment:

  1. Lynda,
    So glad that you have this blog. I keep checking in to see where you are at in all of this. I am praying for you and that in your absence God puts a protective covering around your home. You've only been gone a few days, but we already miss your smiling face on our cul-de-sac!
    Blessings,
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete