Friday, June 8, 2012

Dr. appointment



Well, I had an appointment with my CF doctor yesterday and did pulmonary function tests. Let's just say they didn't go as good as I thought they might :( I have been feeling more short of breath the last few days & kind of attributed it to the heat & humidity. The doctor thinks it could be inflammation, so she put me on some steroids. I don't mind steroids that much. The only side effects I don't care for is a jittery feeling I sometimes get & insomnia--I read  a lot at night while on steroids--it's either that or worry about needless things while I'm up in the middle of the night! lol

I will update in a few days to let you know if the steroids are working. God Bless and have a good weekend :)

5 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of and praying for you. I'm sorry things are not looking as good as you'd hoped, but hang in there. God has a reason for all of this. He has a purpose for this season, not only in your own life, but in the lives of those who love and care about you. This is one of the most amazing things about living life in Christ: He uses all things for YOUR good because you love Him, but He also uses stuff in your life for the good of others who love Him as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging words, Holly. I continue to pray for you & hope that you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda, if you don't mind me asking, what are your PFT numbers? Since you're not feeling so well and considering a transplant I was curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shane--believe it or not, my last FEV1 was 20% or 0.55L. I have always been able to do well with what limited function I have had. Having said that, I am seriously considering transplant and will most likely decide in August at my evaluation.
    Today was actually a pretty good day. I started doxycycline yesterday, so not sure if it's working already or maybe the humidity is lower or something today? We'll see what tomorrow holds...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always had a difficult time tolerating Doxy. I'm not entirely sure what side effects I got on it, but I'm sure there was a reason why I stopped taking it. The only antibiotic that I can take is Bactrim. But I hear Doxy is strong and a preferred medicine. Have you considered Cipro? It would knock out any inflammation that I would get, but it would also give me a rather uncomfortable rash.

    On another note, do you know if there is any correlation between height, body weight and FEV1?

    Do you know what your FEV1's were at 32? I ask because I know CF is a progressive illness and I would like to place some perspective on my numbers.

    Sorry for kinda making this about me, I know it's your blog, and I really hope you think really hard about having this procedure done, a Transplant is a life changing surgery.

    I hope the Doxy works for you!

    ReplyDelete