Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The transplant center in Texas is a preferred provider with our insurance company, but has to also be a Center of Excellence in order for my insurance company to pay for a transplant there. I think they are a fairly new center and I don't think they have done enough transplants to reach this certification. They did receive a silver medal from HHS for their lung transplant program recently, so they probably are on the path towards being a CoE, but currently are not, so they are out of the picture.

The other center I'm looking at is Duke Hospital. They have a lot of experience in mycobacterium and perform many lung transplants. They often are willing to take a risk to give patients that have been denied at other centers a chance at life. My doctor should be sending them a referral in the next day or two. I hope to hear from Duke soon, so we can schedule a consult and find out how much testing they want, and how much that will cost so I can make a decision to either go there, with the hopes of transplanting sooner, or stay with Barnes and hope to transplant 8 months out, at the very least (6 months of IVs, followed by 8+ weeks awaiting test results).  Continued prayers for all to work out according to God's will, please and thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Lots of decisions for you. Hope something happens soon.......

    ReplyDelete