Monday, January 7, 2013

*sigh*

I heard back from my lung transplant coordinator late last week. This won't mean much to many of you, but the first culture (December 10) grew something in the mycobacterium family. Somehow they knew right away that it wasn't non-tuberculosis myco or myco avium, and this is a good thing from what I understand, as these are some of the myco's you want to avoid. Now, the culture still needs to continue to grow out until the type of mycobacterium is identified. From my understanding, this can take up to 8 weeks.

And I think this is good news, but the second sample I gave (December 12?) has not turned up anything in the myco family at all so far, although it is still processing...

I already had a doctor's appointment scheduled for January 15 and they want me to keep this appointment to give another sample for testing. Then IT will have to take weeks to grow out! So, now, it looks like March is the earliest I would be listed (or at least that's how I see it).

Not to drag this out, but in 2000 I cultured myco gordonae and my doctor had me repeat a culture right away because he said this particular type of myco can actually show up when the sample is contaminated, either by me at collection time or by the lab. The subsequent samples did not show anything (nor has it shown up since, to my knowledge), so I forgot all about this until this recent myco showed up. Maybe the same thing will happen here--wouldn't that be a blessing?!

That's the update I have for now. As always, thanks for the prayers and have a great week!
~Lynda 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your progress and how we can pray. I know how frustrating it is to be ready to move forward and be hung up on the waiting. But, remember all that God does during the waiting. Remember the Israelites wandering for forty years waiting to be brought into the Promised Land. The time was not wasted. God used it to raise up a godly and obedient generation. Read Psalm 78 - one of my favorites. Be reminded of all God is doing on your behalf, behind the scenes.
    We will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Holly, for the encouraging words and for the prayers. I will read Psalm 78 tonight! I continue to pray for healing for you as you are going through your struggles too my cyster! Hugs, Lynda

    ReplyDelete