Tuesday, March 4, 2014

3/4/14


I heard back on more of the bronch results. There was a mold that showed up on the fungus report :( They have to let the culture continue to grow to find out what kind of mold it is. There are only 3 or 4 molds that are bad news, so I hope and pray I don't have one of those. The doctor said molds are in the air and people with normal immune systems can rid themselves of the molds, but since I'm seriously immune compromised, I am susceptible to just about anything out there. We will wait to see what grows out. Prayers appreciated for good? mold.

I had the gastric emptying study Friday and am currently doing a 24 hour PH study and will hear results of these tests at my doctor’s appointment this Thursday (at the latest). The gastric study measures how quickly things move/empty through the stomach and the PH study records reflux (I hope I have that right-lol). I sure hope I pass both, so I'm able to eat some real food. I'm sure I've shared that it's been since January 19th since I've had a glass of water or food, other then tube fed, so I'm excited to eat something again. Luckily I'm not hungry, the tube feeds keep me plenty "full", so it hasn't been too bad, just inconvenient.

I did 17 laps at rehab Friday in 20 minutes :) Yesterday's class was canceled due to icy roads. I can't tell you how sweet it is to walk without oxygen on, and for it to be minimal effort! Praise God for these new lungs J  Of course, I remember that they come at a cost to another family and I keep that family in prayers.

More to come after Thursday’s appointment-have an excellent week!
Hugs,
Lynda

3 comments:

  1. Was so good to get another update, always checking for the latest one.
    Will pray that the cultures are all good. Sorry about the mold. Just had 6 days of steroids for an allergy problem, dr said it was probably mold as it is high right now. will be praying it is not serious and clears up fast.
    Good luck on the swallowing, that must be awful not tasting food. Have you lost weight because you are only doing tube feeding? Brenda Higerd, from Rcc, just had thyroid and goiter removed and she has to relearn swallowing also.
    We've been in since Saturday, going to try to get out today and do some errands a a couple of meetings at church. Snow is clearing up, but it has been so cold for so long.
    Love and prayers coming your way.
    In His name and for His glory,
    Mary K

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one busy girl! Great progress and I'm sure the mold is nothing. It sounds like Duke crosses every t and dots every I. Glad to hear your getting excellent care! I'm sure you're looking forward to eating again, What is going to be your first meal? I'm sure you think of that a lot! lol Miss you and continue to pray for perfect healing. xoxo Tosha

    ReplyDelete
  3. MARY--I lost 10 pounds initially at time of surgery, but have gained 6 of those back, so I think they are pretty happy with that, but the goal is to gain the whole weight back. I have been surprised to gain weight on liquid diet, and think some of the weight gain is the steroids--I already see the results of steroids in my cheeks that are starting to become chipmunk-y :o I think you asked me once what meds I'm doing for the myco--I am doing a 3 med cocktail--Amikacin, thru a nebulizer, IV Imipenem and oral Azithromycin. No myco has shown up yet, post transplant, and as long as it doesn't by April 1, then I should be done with treatment for it!
    Thank you for the continual prayers, thoughts, and encouragement. I feel blessed to have you as a sister in Christ! I wish the best for you & pray for you often, for healing for your myco.

    TOSHA-Not sure what the plan is yet on the mold, but as you said, they will handle it the way it needs to be! Did 27 laps today in 30 min :)
    I would love my first meal to be pizza or fried chicken, but it will be something softer--according to their protocol, probably mashies :) and mac and cheese--it has to be something that I can squish with a fork at first.
    I miss you too and can't wait to see you, have lunch, do something! xoxo

    ReplyDelete